You guessed it! I’ve been busy baking just like the rest of the world right now, and it’s no surprise that I’ve whipped up one of the nations favourites…banana bread!
I’m definitely no stranger to banana bread/cake/loaf whichever one you call it. As since going to university all those years ago it was my go-to for leftover bananas and any ingredients we had lying around the house. The only difference between your standard banana bread and this one is that this one is completely butter-free! Which means adding natural yoghurt and a dash of oil instead…and it’s surprisingly just as, if not, more delicious!
So here it is, my easy peasy butter-free Banana and Yoghurt Cake…
Ingredients (1 loaf)
2 cups flour (200g)
4 heaped tbsp natural plain yogurt (150g)
2 ripe bananas
1 cup brown sugar (150g)
2 tbsp milk (30 ml)
3-4 tbsp vegetable oil or olive oil (60ml)
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 tsp baking powder
1 pinch of salt
1 lemon zest
For extra flavour, add;
1 tsp cinnamon
1 handful chopped walnuts or pistachios
1. Preheat oven to 170°C, line your tin with greaseproof paper
2. In a bowl whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder.
3. In a separate bowl whisk the sugar and eggs and then add the yogurt, milk, lemon zest, vanilla extract, olive oil and mix.
4. Peal the bananas, mash them and add them to the mixture.
5. Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until fully combined and smooth.
6. You can then add the chopped nuts and cinnamon if you fancy extra flavour and crunch.
7. Pour the batter into your tin of choice and bake it for 40-50 minutes or until golden brown and fully cooked in the middle (stab it with a knife, and if the knife comes out clean…it’s cooked!)
And that’s it, you’re done! Now all you have to do is sit back and enjoy your delicious, healthy banana bread! I love having mine with Nutella and raspberries, but it’s also amazing with Biscoff spread, Jam & Cream or on it’s own.
Happy baking guys!