Are you looking for a super healthy, indulgent snack which will give you that extra boost of energy or a curb sweet craving? Then look no further!
These chocolate dunked high-protein treats are the perfect blend of nutritious meets luxury! They are perfect to incorporate into your daily snack list as part of a healthy balanced diet AND are packed with protein, antioxidants & vitamins which will help muscle repair and boost energy levels!
I have used wholegrain, organic and natural products where possible in this recipe to ensure the cookies reap all the natural benefits of some of these super healthy ingredients.
Did you know? Coconut flour contains high amounts of fibre which is great for your gut! And it’s sister, coconut sugar also contains minerals & antioxidants! The actual calorie content of coconut sugar is very similar to your standard refined sugar though, so be sure to eat it in moderation!
So, let’s get started on the recipe!
*This recipe contains egg which can be substituted out for flax egg if following a vegan diet.*
Makes 12 Chunky Chocolate Chip Cookies
2 cups raw wholegrain oats
2 scoops chocolate protein powder
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup coconut sugar
3 tbsp cacao powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup almond or peanut butter
1 tbsp honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1/2 cup raisins or goji berries (optional)
5 tbsp water
30g dark chocolate (70%+ cocoa)
*preheat oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4*
1. Mix all of the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl until fully combined.
2. In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients thoroughly and add to the dry ingredients, adding the water slowly as required.
3. Line some trays with baking paper and begin separating the mix with your hands to create 12 evenly mixed cookie dough balls.
4. Place the cookie mix balls onto the baking paper, leaving enough space in between each one.
5. Using the palm of your hand flatten out the balls into the shape of cookies. (The mix will not rise in the oven, so around 1cm thick is perfect).
6. Pop them into the oven to cook for around 8-10 minutes.
7. Leave the freshly baked cookies cooling on a metal rack whilst you melt the chocolate ready to dunk!
8. Gently melt the dark chocolate until completely smooth. I used a microwave for this, placing the chocolate chunks into a bowl and popping it into the microwave for approx 2 minutes, stirring every 20-30 seconds.
9. Once the cookies are fully cooled down it’s time to get dunking! Use a spoon or simply dunk one half of the cookie and place them back on the cooling rack to let the chocolate fully set.
10. After about 30 mins or so the chocolate should have properly set, which means there’s only one this left to do…eat!
Wholegrain Oats vs Instant Oats? In general, oats such as steel-cut, rolled and wholegrain oats have higher nutritional value than instant oats. This is because the instant type are more processed. Where ever possible I try to reach for oats in their more natural form as they’re packed with lots more fibre, plant-based protein and vitamins. That being said though, instant oats are still full of all the good stuff, just a little bit less of it!
And there we have it…
Super yummy, high-protein chunky chocolate dipped cookies. And as they’re full of oats and protein, you can enjoy them with your morning brew or as a yummy post-workout snack!
I hope you enjoyed this recipe just as much as I did. And don’t forget to tag me on instagram or twitter at @littlestoryblog